Welcome to the Groups Discussion Guide
In this 5-week message series we’ll look at how God wants to be intimately connected to our lives, helping to guide and encourage us even through life’s most challenging decisions.
Session 5: The Door of Invitation
And now, just as you accepted Christ Jesus as your Lord, you must continue to follow him. Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:6-7
Welcome, everyone, to the last week of our “Doors” series! Over the last 5 weeks, we have been getting to know each other and talking about different “doors” that God has taken us through. Today we are talking about The Door of Invitation. Begin your time with prayer.
- Ask the group to share about a time when they were invited to an event that they were excited about. What made the invitation special?
- Ask if someone would share about a time when they didn’t get an invite. How did that make them feel?
- Share our Big Idea for today with the group: Jesus is inviting us to follow Him.
Watch The Video
Discuss the following questions together:
- Have you ever felt like you weren’t deserving of God’s love? What are a few reasons people might think they aren’t included in the invitation to know God?
- When did you first hear about Jesus? Share your story about the first time you accepted God’s invitation.
- How would your life look different if you had never taken that first step to follow Jesus?
Go around your group and have someone read each of the following verses. Don’t comment specifically on each one, but rather use the questions below to guide your responses as you consider all of the verses
- What stands out to you in these verses?
- What does it say about us?
- What does it say about God?
Now let’s read a story from Jesus’ life. In this next section of the Bible, we see Jesus asking two men who had been John the Baptist’s disciples to become his disciples. As you read these verses, pay attention to how the disciples respond.
READ: John 1:35-50
- What are some specific ways that the disciples responded to the invitation to follow Jesus?
- Why is it important to be like the disciples and share the good news of Jesus to those around us?
- What stops you from telling others about that invitation?
Based on the verses we just read, there are a few things that we can do in response. Take a moment to reflect on these responses and then discuss each one together as a group.
- Is there something that Jesus is inviting you to say “yes” to today?
- Are there any areas in your life you know Jesus is inviting you to change, that you are resisting? If you’re comfortable sharing, what are they and why?
- Who in your life can you go to and share the good news?
- As a group, how can we encourage one another and keep each other accountable?
- Invite each group member to think of a specific “yes” to do this week. Encourage each other to set up a physical reminder that they will see throughout the day to encourage them to follow through. (Examples: a post-it note on your bathroom mirror or a reminder on your cell phone’s background)
- Take a few moments to share prayer requests with each other and then close in a time of prayer.
Daily Bible Reading
Use the S.O.A.K. method to reflect on the verses below.
Scripture: Read the verses several times out loud.
Observation: As you read the scripture what do you observe.
Application: What is God wanting you to believe, do or feel based on what you have read?
Kneel: This is a chance to pray about what you have read and learned.
- Day 1: Romans 10:13
- Day 2: John 5:24
- Day 3: Ephesians 2:8-9
- Day 4: 2 Corinthians 5:17
- Day 5: Revelation 3:20
- Day 6: Ephesians 2:10